Sunday 14 April 2013

Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Pasta

Remember that time when I thought it would be a great idea to start a blog right before the end of the semester? While I was looking for a job? Posting about three times a week would be no big deal, right?

Then remember that time when I spent all day every day in the geography library on the computers waiting for my project to (hopefully) work, except for my few escapes to the gym or to work? And all the food I made was when I got home well after dark and I was too hungry to save any of it to photograph during daylight? Except for that time I made eggplant curry and didn't wash the cilantro enough and didn't have enough coconut milk so it turned out horribly and I got really upset because I was really tired and threw out the little bit that was left. I did eat most of it though. Promise. Food waste is one of my big pet peeves. I wish that I could say lesson learned, but the cilantro gets me every single time.





Anyways, the moral of the story is that this post has been about a week in the making. I made this pasta on Saturday night, and didn't take photos of it. I made it again on Tuesday, and managed to get photos. And then I spent five days trying to write this post and feeling guilty about not working on my report every time that I did. But, finally, I bring you some stressed-out student pasta. Next up will be the fridge full of coleslaw that I made yesterday morning.. with only half of my cabbage. How exactly does one manage to use up an entire cabbage?


Ingredients:

  • 2 small eggplants
  • salt
  • 14oz white mushrooms
  • olive oil
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup capers
  • 2 cups dry whole grain pasta (I used kamut penne, which was delicious)
Let's be honest: I'm not sure if I like eggplant because I love how it tastes roasted... or because the skin is such a beautiful shade of  purple.
Directions
1. Slice eggplant into discs. Salt eggplant, and let sit for 15 minutes to half an hour.
2. Coarsely dice tomatoes. Combine tomatoes, vinegar, herbs and garlic in a container. Shake it up and leave it - until you finish making the pasta, or it can rest a few days in the fridge.
3. Chop mushrooms into thick slices. Rinse most of the salt off of the eggplant.
4. Lightly brush mushrooms and eggplant with olive oil, and roast. I used my toaster oven on bake for 20 minutes and then switched it to broil, but you could also roast them in the oven and flip them over when one side is browned. At this point, add the mushrooms and continue to roast until eggplant and mushrooms are nicely browned (about 10 minutes).
5. While mushrooms and eggplant are roasting, cook the pasta.
6. Combine pasta, roasted vegetables, tomato mixture, and capers. 

I ate this with some cottage cheese the first time I ate it, and poached eggs the second time because... protein. It would be fine on its own as well, or I'm sure that you could add another type of cheese or some other protein source if you prefer.

Well, I'm heading back to my life of library-gym-work and I really wish that I had some of this pasta to keep me company. Happy Sunday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hope you can soon add more to the library-gym-work routine. This dish looks delicous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah you have been crazy busy! I hate weeks like that. And I hate it when I forget to wash cilantro because then I end up with gritty food...and that happens more often than I care to admit.

    Love the sound of this pasta though! Total comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am verry glad to hear that I am not the only one with cilantro-washing struggles haha... Usually I just suck it up and stubbornly eat it, but apparently that was too much for me to handle when I was that tired. :) And I feel like I shouldn't be complaining about being busy, I don't know how you manage to get through med/grad school and keep up such a fantastic blog... and also have a life outside of those!

    ReplyDelete

© Mermaid Cafe, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena