Thursday 25 April 2013

Arugula, Beet and Lentil Salad

I'm currently in a bit of a tab-closing frenzy. So long, 50 tabs about hydropower in the Ganges basin. Farewell, every lecture and reading on religion and human rights. Auf Wiedersehen, formula sheets and practice problems for stats. Adieu, plethora of Indian recipes I tried to make last night.. while watching the Sound of Music. Can you tell?




This post isn't about Indian food, though. It is about a hearty salad that I threw together last week between studying at the library and studying in my kitchen. This salad is packed full of powerful ingredients: lentils for protein, arugula for some green goodness, beets for their awesome post-workout power (nitrates? I don't know.). It is also filling and delicious, with balsamic vinegar and caramelized onions on top of the earthy, sweet beets and spicy arugula. And although it takes a few pots to cook the pieces, you can easily prepare them ahead of time or toss them all on the stove at once and get back to your studies.

I feel like I've been posting a lot of salads on here lately, but I just wanted to say that salads are not the only thing I eat - far from it. I feel like there is sometimes a misconception about vegetarians, but these salads are mostly the result of me wanting something quick and healthy which I can easily take with me as lunch... preferably for a few days. Don't get me wrong, I love eating these salads - but I love cooking things OTHER than salads as well.

I still have one more exam, but since it is not until Tuesday I decided to take yesterday to do other things than study, as a bit of a personal reward.. and because I really, really need to pack. Or, you know... sleep. Because that's what happened. I got up early to help out at the novice women's morning practice, and then ended up spending a large chunk of time napping, a little bit of time cleaning, and my evening cooking Indian food with my favorite movie, having dinner with a friend, and meeting friends at trivia night down the street. Which was a resounding failure. I didn't know a single answer, except for the Beatles question. What simple request was the Beatles' first American number one single? I Want to Hold Your Hand, of course!

Anyways, I'm off to the gym. To erg! And to run! Since I got cleared to start doing BOTH of those things last week. Slowly, slowly slowly. But it's progress, FINALLY. And it's a beautiful day, so running outside will be glorious. :)

Photo evidence of my first jog.... Because I'm just that excited. :)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups roasted beets
  • 1 potato
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp rosemary
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup dry lentils
  • 2 cups broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 spanish onions
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 6 cups arugula
Directions:
1. Wrap beets in tin foil and roast them. I used my slow cooker and left them on low all day, but they can also be roasted in an oven. When the beets are roasted (after probably 1-1.5 hours in an oven) unwrap, run them under cold water, remove the skins and dice.
2. Dice potato, and toss with garlic, herbs, salt, and a bit of the oil. Olive oil will work, or melt a bit of coconut oil. Roast at 350˚C for about half an hour, or until lightly browned
3. Place lentils and broth in a pot, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add bay leaves and simmer until lentils are cooked through. You may need to add a bit of water or drain some of the liquid.
4. Slice onions. Warm coconut oil in a pan, and add onions. Cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally so that the onions don't burn. After 15-20 minutes, when the onions are softened, add balsamic vinegar and cook for a few more minutes until vinegar has somewhat reduced.
5. Combine ingredients in a large bowl - or if like me you only own one large bowl and it is full of coleslaw, use a wok! Add balsamic to taste. 

Note: If you want to eat the salad warm, the arugula will wilt down when added to the salad. If you prefer, leave the warm ingredients to cool and then add the arugula. I ate this both ways, and though I prefer it warm it is great cold, as well!


PS. If you're wondering where the Indian food is.... it's still a work in progress. But since it was decided that last night was the "big bang" of my making Indian food, I'm sure it will slowly start appearing here as I figure it out. Right now I am just really, really good at the mess-making part.

1 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous salad! I hope it powered you through studying!

    ReplyDelete

© Mermaid Cafe, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena